Sunday, May 10, 2009

A bittersweet time

Mother's Day in my family was not only a Sunday set aside to recognize mom, but it was also a day, especially once college rolled around, to celebrate dad, whose birthday fell within a few days of Mother's Day. We would go to church, go out to eat a nice lunch somewhere, and open presents- both Mother's Day and birthday. It was like a Parents' Day.

Dad's birthday is this Tuesday.

Today, I am thankful for the time I spent with my daddy. I am thankful that he was born on this Earth nearly 58 years ago, and I got to have him as my dad for 24 of those years (almost). I am thankful for the job he spent over half of his life laboring at to provide my sister and me with everything we could have ever needed. I am thankful that dad's world revolved around his family because I have many treasured memories of time spent with my dad.

Today, I admire my mom. 2008 was an extremely difficult year for her. Her mother broke her hip escaping from the nursing home. Many thought she would not recover. Her father was hospitalized for a serious ulcer due to all the stress resulting from the nursing home accident. Mom spent most of the summer traveling back and forth to Missouri to help take care of her parents. Then, to top it all off, her husband of almost 26 years passes away suddenly and unexpectedly. I admire my mom's unwavering faith in our Lord. Her strength, hope, and comfort all come from Him, and she has found everything she needs to continue on in life in Him. God has taken care of her, and continues to take care of her, and mom fully relies on Him. Some may turn their back on God in tough times, but mom just threw herself at Him, trusting in Him and and His promises.

As I prepare to become a parent, I realize more and more what my parents did for me, and these are just the highlights. I could go on for forever about the sacrifices they made and the many happy memories I have from growing up in such a loving household. I hope with all of my heart that I can be the same kind of parent to James.

Thank you, daddy and momma, for everything.