Saturday, September 22, 2007

Refreshment

My last post was written under some heavy emotional stress. I had slipped and vented to some teachers, and I was afraid that my words were coming back to haunt me. Thankfully, however, they did not. I have learned my lesson, though... keep my mouth SHUT; pray constantly for strength to stay positive no matter what. There used to be a time when people noticed how I was always happy and positive. That has not happened in a while. I also used to be really shy and not open about my true thoughts and feelings...

Anyways. My week wrapped up, and it is over. Thank goodness!! It was a long week, and Friday was a long, long day. I had my first HUGE discipline issue in my first academic class. What a way to start the day!!! A student was injured in my class; he was hit in the eye by a "hornet." A "hornet" is a rolled up scrap of paper shot using a rubber band. I did not see it happen, and I did not know how to make a student confess. I had a serious, serious teacher snap decision making moment...

"I WILL pull the assistant principal in here to question EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU until the guilty person FESSES UP!" It was a stretch, but worth a try...

Fortunately, the guilty child raised his hand, and I was shocked. I took him outside in the hallway to grill him...

Me:"What possessed you to do this?"
Student: "Everyone else was doing it."
Me: "That is YOUR reason? That is what you have to say for YOUR actions?"
Student: ...
Me: "You know this is an automatic referral to the assistant principal, right? You caused injury to someone else."
Student: "I tried to apologize..."
Me: "Doesn't matter. You HURT someone. A warning is not a serious enough consequence. A teacher consequence is not enough."
Student: ...
Me: "Go back in and finish your work. I will send the referral in after class. I am VERY disappointed in you and your actions."

And indeed I sent it in at the beginning of the next academic. I stretched the truth about the whole principal referral because I was not certain. I had to ask another teacher before I referred him. I found out that I was not lying, and I spent the beginning of class sending in a referral. He is now in ISS until Thursday. He will also be punished on the football team; I heard you are kicked off the team if you receive ISS.

It really killed me to give him ISS because he is a smart student who is relatively well behaved. He just made one bad decision, and he got caught. He does, however, constantly interrupt my class and has issues staying in his assigned seat. His best bud is also in ISS until Wednesday, so the beginning of next week will be peaceful!

After a crazy week, I have spent a wonderful Friday and Saturday with my family. Chris and I drove up to Atlanta last night to go to the Braves game, and, even though we lost, we got to see Mark T. hit a homerun and Frenchy make an assist from the right field to home plate. It was also Friday night fireworks. We then spent today being lazy and watching college football. We ate out for lunch, and we enjoyed a football dinner of pizza, chips, soda, and brownies. Chris and I just got home twenty minutes ago.

Georgia JUST made an AWESOME game winning play against Alabama. My weekend just improved even more!!! :) It's great to be a Georgia BULLDAWG!!!! I wish I could be with my sister, celebrating now, but we needed to get home. I enjoyed spending time with her this weekend.

My weekend will keep getting better with church tomorrow! I am looking forward to a Sunday with my church family. I really really wish that my church met more than once a week!!!

Anyways! Now that the excitement of the GA game is over, I am off to sleep! Happy weekend to all, and to all a great night! :)

No comments: