Thursday, March 6, 2008

Why I teach...

Tonight on the phone, I was talking with a delightful parent of a fantastic daughter. I will remember it forever:

Parent: I really have to thank you, Mrs. Edwards, because she is reading!
Me: Really?
Parent: Yes, she is really reading. A lot. More than she has ever read before. I don't know what you are doing in your class, but she has finally found books she enjoys.
Me: Yay! I am so excited for her!
Parent: Yes. Miranda would come home all excited about a book you recommended to her. And Esperanza Rising; she would talk non-stop about that book!
Me: Yes, I know. I remember that book. It is so good! As soon as she finished it, I pointed her to other books like it.
Parent: You've connected with her somehow. You have been sharing with her and encouraging her, and I am just so thankful for that. We are all avid readers, and to finally have her enjoying reading as much is wonderful. She loves your class.

:)

No comments: