Saturday, July 12, 2008

Dreams Come True?

Having just recently returned from Missouri, certain thoughts always cross my mind, and a deep ache lodges itself in my heart for a brief period of time... specifically, the time it takes for me to travel through Nashville.

Every time we travel to Missouri (with the exception of the one time we moved my Grandma T.), we travel right through the heart of country music. When I was a little girl, my sister (who then shared the same love of country music and singing) and I would amuse ourselves by spotting the tour buses of the famous musicians we knew. As I got older, I would wonder what it would be like to be a singer, and I would often get lost in a daydream about moving to Nashville and struggling to make it big.

Recently, as in a few weeks ago, I drove through Nashville and felt an ache in my heart... a desire, a dream that has always been there that has been shoved aside with excuses coming back to the surface. Ever since I sang along wit Ariel when I was 5, I knew singing was something special and meaningful to me. My best friend and I would make up little bands and songs growing up. I joined chorus and loved it. I sang at church. I sang while I worked (to the annoyance of some I worked with). It was like breathing to me. It still is.

A few years ago, inspired by a friend, I made a list of things I wanted to do before I died. At the top of that list was to record a CD. That's all I want. I don't want fame. I don't really want to perform (I know I am not a performer!). I want to sing. I want the experience of singing songs in a studio and recording them.

If I still have an ache, a desire, then I can hope and pray that maybe sometime in my life, God will point me in a direction that allows me to pursue this life-long dream.

No comments: