Thursday, July 3, 2008

My Grandparents

It has been two years since my grandma was placed in a nursing home. My grandpa took care of her the best he could, but she loved to get up in the middle of the night and roam around on her bad knees. It got to where the best thing for her was to place her in a care facility that could monitor her all the time and keep her from really hurting herself.

I don't know if I shared it on here, but at the end of May, my grandma escaped from then nursing home in the evening and broke her hip. She was found at two in the morning in a ditch, unable to move. Many people feared the worst because most 80 year olds do not ever recover from such a surgery and ordeal.

This was a case where my grandma's stubbornness worked to her benefit. She absolutely hates sitting around and doing nothing, so she was determined to get back up and walk around again. The doctor didn't believe it, but he said, best case scenario, she would be up and walking in six months.

Well, here we are, one month later, and she is up and walking the way she did before the hip surgery. How cool is that?

God pretty much rocks. He took care of her because it is not her time yet. I am so thankful for her recovery, though she still tries to get out of the facility. She doesn't remember anything that happened, so there is no lesson to learn for her.

He will keep taking care of her until it is time, and that is all we can rest assured in until then.

3 comments:

Ted and Dana said...

I'll keep your grandma and family in my prayers. I'm glad she recovered so well. God is good.

Laura said...

What a blessing! He is in control!

Laura said...

What a blessing! He is in control!